Share This Post
How to get an Orange County cannabis cultivation license.
How to get an Orange County cannabis cultivation license
As an Orange County cannabis licensing attorney, we often get asked what is needed to get a State of California cannabis cultivation license.
The State of California anticipates that they will begin issuing state cannabis cultivation licenses in California as of January 1, 2018.
While they are completing the final regulations, there are some steps you can work on now to prepare for your licensing application.
Whether you plan to commercially grow medicinal and/or adult-use (recreational) cannabis in California, here’s a checklist of documents you may need to complete your application.
- Although not required, a permit from your city or county (or other jurisdiction) will streamline the application process.
- Right to occupy property: Your lease agreement, property title, or deed n Business formation documents filed by the California Secretary of State’s office n California State Water Resources Control Board permits and verification of your water source, including: well logs, Notice of Applicability, or a Waste Discharge Requirement (WDR) waiver.
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife’s 1602 permit or a waiver
- California Department of Toxic Substance’s hazardous materials record search via their EnviroStor data management system
- California Department of Fee and Tax Administration’s seller’s permit
- Labor agreement if you’ll have more than 20 employees
- Surety bond valued at $5,000
- California Department of Justice fingerprinting via its Live Scan service
City and County Jurisdictions for Cannabis Licenses
Each city and county has different protocols. Depending on where you want to commercially grow cannabis in California, you might need to contact one or more of the following agencies, in the city where you want to operate, to get the necessary local permits:
- Building Department
- Environmental Health Department
- Office of the County Agricultural Commissioner
- Office of the Sheriff or Police Chief
- Planning Department
- Public Works Department Resources
Cannabis License Resources for California
• CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing, a division of the California Department of Food and Agriculture 1-833-CALGROW (225-4769) email@example.com calcannabis.cdfa.ca.gov
• California Cannabis Portal cannabis.ca.gov
• California Department of Fee and Tax Administration 800-400-5448 efile.boe.ca.gov/ereg/index.
• California Department of Fish and Wildlife wildlife.ca.gov/conservation/
• California Department of Justice Live Scan Fingerprinting Locations oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/
• California Department of Toxic Substances Control EnviroStor 877-786-9427 envirostor.disc.ca.gov/public
• California Secretary of State 916-657-5448 sos.ca.gov/business-programs
• Labor Agreements Contact any major union to help you with your labor peace agreement.
• State and Regional Water Control Boards 916-319-9427 waterboards.ca.gov
Contact us if you would like us to prepare and file the cannabis license for you. For more information, please visit the following sites, which usually have updated information: