Ignition Interlock and IID Providers in Orange County
What is an ignition interlock device (IID)?
An IID is a device that requires that you blow into it to start a car or to to drive a car. It is usually required for certain offenders in DUI cases, or for DUI related convictions. For additional information about IIDs, refer to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website at www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl31.htm.
When is an IID required?
An Ignition Interlock Device is required for multiple offense DUI convictions, by the rules of the DMV. This law substantially changed in 2010 to include first time offenders.
An IID is also required by the DMV for first time offenders under a pilot program currently in effect (2016) in the following counties only:
- Los Angeles
- Alameda County
- Tulare County
- Sacramento County
Who is required to have an IID?
Anyone convicted of a DUI without priors in a Los Angeles DUI case, or the other three counties above, is required to be sentenced to the installation of an Ignition Interlock Device in any vehicle that you own or operate. The DMV also requires, in addition to the IID, the following:
- A Department of Motor Vehicles Ordered Verification of Ignition Interlock, DL 924, form.
- An alcohol treatment program Proof of Enrollment Certificate, DL 107, or Notice of Completion Certificate, DL 101 form.
- A California Insurance Proof Certificate, SR 22.
- For the driver to pay all applicable reinstatement fees and a $45 administrative service fee.
What are the exceptions to installing an IID?
Some persons do not have a vehicle, and so cannot install an ignition interlock device on any motorized vehicle that they “own or operate”. For those people, the DMV requires that they fill out, and send in, the form that the DMV has. The form you will need is DMV’s DL 4055-B form. California Vehicle Code section 23700 also states:
(8) A person who is notified by the department, pursuant to this subdivision, is exempt from the requirements of this subdivision if within 30 days of the notification, the person certifies to the department all of the following: (A) The person does not own a vehicle. (B) The person does not have access to a vehicle at his or her residence. (C) The person no longer has access to the vehicle being driven by the person at the time he or she was arrested for a violation that subsequently resulted in a conviction for a violation listed in this subdivision. (D) The person acknowledges that he or she is only allowed to drive a vehicle that is fitted with a functioning ignition interlock device. (E) The person acknowledges that he or she is required to have a valid driver's license before he or she can drive. (F) The person is subject to the requirements of this section when he or she purchases or has access to a vehicle. (9) Subdivisions (j), (k), (m), (n), and (o) of Section 23575 apply to this section. (10) If a person fails to comply with any of the requirements regarding ignition interlock devices, the mandatory term for which the ignition interlock device is required to be installed shall be reset by the department.
Who can install an IID?
Only a licensed ignition interlock installer can place an IID in a vehicle and issue the certificate to the DMV to comply with the law.
The DMV has a list of providers organized by manufacturer. Most people care more about the geographic area than which manufacturer makes the device, but the DMV relies on the manufacturers to refer persons to an installer for the device.
Ignition Interlock and IID Providers in Southern California
|Academy of Defensive Driving
NO INSTALLS SERVICES ONLY
|(800) 572-3984||31726 Rancho Viejo Rd #120||San Juan Capistrano, CA||92675||Ramon|
|Academy of Defensive Driving
NO INSTALLS SERVICES ONLY
|(800) 572-3984||2000 Quail St.||Newport Beach, CA||92660||Ramon|
|59TH Broadway Customs||(800) 572-3984||5918 S. Broadway||Los Angeles, CA||90003||Gessey Gonzalez|
|ACS Interlock||(800) 572-3984||1238 S Lyon St.||Santa Ana, CA||92705||Corey Hickok||24 Hours|
|Best Value Interlock||(800) 572-3984||9375 Feron Blvd. Ste E||Rancho Cucamonga, CA||91730||Jeff Hansen||M-F 9-5|
|Carlsbad Automotive Technology||(800) 572-3984||2730 State St.||Carlsbad, CA||92008||Dennis Clark||M-F 8-5|
|Fred’s Auto Service||(800) 572-3984||1300 South Glendale Ave.||Glendale, CA||91205||Fredrik Kamali||M-F 8-5|
|Gio’s Auto Diagnostics||(800) 572-3984||37824 5th Street East #D||Palmdale, CA||93550||Giovanny Murcia||M-F 9-6|
|High Tech Auto Center, Inc.||(800) 572-3984||68421 Commercial Road||Cathedral City, CA||92234||Dave Nelson||M-F 8-5|
|Interlock Service Specialist||(800) 572-3984||1440 E. Grand Ave.||San Marcos, CA||92078||Sean Cooke|
|Interlock Services of So Cal||310 -693 -1597||1719 Abalone Ave. Unit #403||Torrance, CA||90501||Ricardo Pita|
|JW Customs||(800) 572-3984||3800 E. Colorado Blvd.||Pasadena, CA||91107||William Alvardo|
|LA Smog Check & Repair||(800) 572-3984||11606 E. Garvey Ave., # A||El Monte, CA||91732||Bill Nguyen||M-F 9-5 Sat 9-2|
|Mayer Automotive||(800) 572-3984||560 Mt. View Avenue||Oxnard, CA||93030||Ismael Salceda||Monday – Thursday 8-5 Friday 8-4 Closed weekends|
|Old Town Tire & Service||(800) 572-3984||28700 Front St.||Temecula, CA||92590||Karl & Keith Greene||M-F 8-5|
|Pete’s Service||(800) 572-3984||6193 Cherry Ave.||Long Beach, CA||90805||Kevin Plabjasoensok||Tu-Fri 8-5, Sat 8-4|
|Professional Technicians, Inc.||(800) 572-3984||4471 W. Rosecrans Ave.||Hawthorne, CA||90250||Stewart Swiggum||M-F 10-5 Sat by appt|
|S.C. Auto Service||(800) 572-3984||606 Broadway||El Centro, CA||92243||Sergio Ceja||M-F 9-7|
|Valley Automotive||(800) 572-3984||813 North Second Street||El Cajon, CA||92021||Shawn Kelley||M-F 8-5|
|West Escondido Automotive & Transmission||(800) 572-3984||2200 Auto Park Way Ste A||Escondido, CA||92029||Brian Bowersock||M-F 8-5|
|AAI Services||(800) 572-3984||15260 Anacapa Road Suite A-12,||Victorville, CA||92392||Abraham Gamiz||Mo-Fri 8-5, Sat 8-4|
Smart Start: http://smartstartofcalifornia.com/ (888) 289-5669
AlcoAlertInterlock: http://www.alcoalertinterlock.com/ (888) 663-9847
If you are in Northern California, LifeSafer handles ignition interlock devices. You can contact them at http://www.lifesafercalifornia.com/.
The Motorcycle IID Exception:
Motorcycles in California cannot have an ignition interlock device installed due to safety concerns, which provides a loophole of sorts for the law.
If you have any questions for our firm about ignition interlock, contact us, or call us, anytime, at (877) 568-2977.